For Our Clients With Workplace Disputes
Nicholas G. B. May
- Employment Law
Nick May has over 20 years of experience representing employees in their claims of workplace discrimination, retaliation, sexual harassment, failure to pay wages and commissions, and whistleblower violations. He also regularly represents employees in shareholder and partnership disputes, contract claims, claims for misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty and defamation.
Nick has been repeatedly recognized as one of the "Best Lawyers in America" and one of the "Top 100 Super Lawyers" in Minnesota. He has also been designated with an "AV" rating by Martindale Hubbell, demonstrating preeminent legal ability and ethical standards.
Nick has successfully tried lawsuits in state and federal court and has negotiated major settlements for numerous clients. He also has successfully handled appeals in the state and federal courts.
In addition to his success in representing his own clients, Nick has resolved countless cases as a neutral mediator for other parties. In his mediation practice, Nick brings his vast experience, patience, and determination to bear, resulting in the resolution of the vast majority of the cases he mediates.
- Minnesota Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court District of North Dakota
- National Employment Lawyers’ Association (past president and board member of Minnesota chapter)
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Dakota County Bar Association
- Washington County Bar Association
- Gender Issues in the Legal Workplace; 2012.
- The Basics of USERRA; 2012.
- The Latest Word in Hiring Discrimination Cases; Public Sector Labor and Employment Law, 2012.
- Co-Author – “Enforcement,” The FMLA Handbook, 2012.
- Enforcement of the FMLA; Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, 2012.
- The Expanding Scope of Retaliation Claims; Agency Investigator Training, 2011.
- Hot Topics in Employment Law, Dakota County Bar Ass’n; 2008.
- A.D.A. or R.I.P? – Breathing Life Into An ADA Claim; National Employment Lawyers Association, Eighth Circuit Conference 2006.
- What Caps? Mixing and Matching Damages to Maximize Recovery in Employment Discrimination Cases; Employment Law Institute, 2004.
- What Really Counts: Practical Tips For Wage And Commission Claims Under Chapter 181; 2004.
- Internal Investigations Involving Executives and Other Senior Management: Problems and Pitfalls; 2003.
- Top Ten Mistakes Employers Make in Discipline and Termination Decisions; 2002.
- Preemption of Common Law Negligence Claims by the Minnesota Human Rights Act; 2001.
- Named 2019 “Attorney of the Year” by Minnesota Lawyer
- Repeatedly named as one of the “Top 100 Super Lawyers” in Minnesota
- Repeatedly named in the “Best Lawyers in America”
- Rated A.V. by Martindale Hubbell
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota
- J.D. - 1998
- Honors: magna cum laude
- University of Iowa
- B.A. - 1994